Friday, February 03, 2012

I tend to start a lot of "fires" at work. Or at least tend to be the source of them, even if I don't start them intentionally. Two decent sized ones, one intentional, one not.

I do my job and I do it well. Generally, I am both well-respected and well-liked in our building. For the most part. Like anything where you do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, you make enemies or people who don't care for your presence. I have both. They both tend to be in positions higher than mine. And I kicked the hornet's nest yesterday after doing my Load Audit. It happens. I knew when I got called back to the Shipping Office exactly why I was getting called back there, and I was okay with it. I have zero regrets with how that meeting went and my conduct surrounding it. My manager also talked with me about it later. The only thing I need to adjust with how I do my audit is how I present information to the person being audited. I'm okay with that and understand the reasoning behind it. Besides, the manager and I are doing audits together today. I'm eager for him to see what I see.

The flip side to this is I had a miss yesterday that resulted in me borrowing a page from E's book. My co-worker called around 1:45 PM and started yelling at me despite me telling him calmly that his relief should be headed out to take care of him. To be fair, I probably should have wandered out to TCC around 1:30ish to get him out of there, so it was my miss. However, if you call me yelling, I'm going to hang up on you or set the receiver down. I am not going to sit there and just "take it". My patience for that sort of behavior went away several months ago.

Unrelated to work, I've been having some issues with the whole working first shift thing. It hasn't done my headspace any favors and I'm generally super-tired when I get home. That said, I'm glad it's Friday. Kitten and I have started talking about getting a kitty once we get finances and everything settled out. We're going to TAILS later today and visiting the shelter kitties, which I'm looking forward to.

I've found myself second-guessing my instincts a lot recently. I'm trying to be less impulsive and more considerate (or attempting to be such) and it's bothering me a lot where I wonder about the "what ifs". I really should let it be and just ride the wave. Life happens and I'm constantly reminding myself of that. It doesn't help matters when the heart says one thing and the mind throws down the brakes. I need to re-learn the patience I'm known for because Life does happen.

No comments: